Book Publishing Charges (BPCs)
Our business model involves charging only for the work we actually do and it does not rely on print revenues for sustainability. Books are published with processing fees similar to those used for journals (in this case Book Processing Charges, or BPCs). As with our journal APCs, we can maintain BPCs, which are significantly lower than those offered by other publishers (this is particularly true when comparing CC BY options). The BPC is typically covered by a funder or institution. We strive to keep the BPCs as low as possible whilst retaining an excellent service for our authors.
Community-collated information on funders and institutions which make funds available for open access book publications is available here . Please feel free to get in touch with us regarding such funds and we might be able to offer assistance or advice.
We offer custom publishing services to ensure that the BPC covers the services and costs included for each specific book and no more. This means that each BPC will be quoted individually, based on the specific book being proposed. Services range from camera-ready manuscripts that require reduced production tasks through to books that include our 'full service' options. Our standard, core service includes:
- Full-text peer review
- Providing editorial support (e.g. advice on copyright clearance, ethics matters etc)
- Crossref Similarity Check service
- Cover design
- Metadata, DOI and ISBN registration
- Publication in downloadable PDF, EPUB, MOBI (Kindle) formats as well as in-browser online reading
- Chapter specific landing pages
- Print-on-Demand (POD) service and listing through book retailer websites and distribution lists
- Publication of data, software and media files associated with the book
- Inclusion in search, indexing and aggregation platforms, library catalogues, library suppliers, discovery services, etc.
- Sending print copies of the published book to authors/editors as well as reviewers
- Promotion and marketing
- Full book and chapter specific usage metrics
- Royalty payments to authors/editors from print sales
- Archiving into appropriate repositories, legal deposit and preservation services
- Typesetting and digital file creation
- English language copyediting (CE) will also be added to our services as standard, however, this may be removed to reduce the BPC if the authors are able to provide high quality texts or arrange the copyediting themselves.
If you are interested in the camera-ready option, please get in touch.
In addition to the above, we offer optional book index creation (IN) services. The table below shows approximate BPC quotes (excluding VAT), based on the size of the book and services provided.
|30,000 words||100,000 words||150,000 words|
|1] Core service||£3,650||£4,600||£5,280|
|2] Core service + CE||£4,400||£6,640||£8,240|
|3] Core service + CE + IN||£4,680||£7,560||£9,620|
* the above prices should be taken as a guide only, as each BPC is constructed individually, based on the content and services required for the proposed book.
Contact us for a quote
For information on funders and institutions which make funds available for open access book publications visit our open access funds page. Please feel free to get in touch with us regarding such funds and we might be able to offer assistance or advice.